skip to main navigationskip to main content
the university of southampton

your studies

we’ll deliver our programmes through a blend of face-to-face and online education, with the emphasis on face-to-face teaching.

you’ll need to be at our campuses  to study, but we will provide materials online if you can’t be here because you:

some teaching and learning resources are physical and can’t be provided online. your senior tutor will discuss this with you if it affects you.

if you need to study online and don’t have access to a computer, ask us about applying for a hardship fund for new students.

student support

the student support hub provides a first point of contact for students 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
the team will signpost students and refer their enquiries to specialist teams, as needed. the service will primarily be online. where online support is not appropriate, a face to face appointment on campus will be arranged. this will be managed carefully to limit the number of people in the student services building and ensure we provide support to our students in a covid-secure setting.  
the student support hub can help with queries on fees and funding, accommodation, visas and wellbeing.
students can access the student support hub 24/7 via telephone 023 8059 9599 or email  

between 10.00 and 16.00 monday-friday students can also use online chat and book an appointment online.
you can also access the susu advice centre for practical help with your housing, studies and finance. open monday – friday, 9.00 – 17.00, you can contact them by email (, phone (023 8059 2085) or on facebook.

you can contact enabling services via email or calling 02380 599 599 (press option 3).

mental health and wellbeing

support for mental health and wellbeing will be provided online and over the phone wherever possible including online/phone appointments with the student support hub.

visit the support and wellbeing webpage for more information, including resources to support you with your wellbeing.

the susu website also provides useful resources to support you.

follow the student life team on facebook to find out about upcoming virtual events.

academic support

if you require support or guidance about enrolment, modules, assessments, dbs checks, personal academic tutor, appeals, complaints, suspensions and transfers you can get in touch with your student office.

meeting with your tutors

your senior tutor and personal academic tutor (pat) is here to offer one-to-one support and advice throughout your time studying with us.

your pat will be allocated to you at the start of your studies and is normally a member of academic staff in your field of study.

check banner self-service to find out who your pat is. get in touch with your pat to arrange a meeting with them, this may be online of face to face in a space that meets social distancing requirements


our lab staff and management have safely re-opened our laboratories.

if things change

we’re ready to welcome you to our campuses so you can study safely. but if you don’t feel safe or the situation with coronavirus changes, you can choose to temporarily suspend your studies.

we usually allow students to suspend their studies for up to 12 months.

if you consider suspending your studies:

  1. get in touch with your personal academic tutor, or other appropriate member of staff. postgraduate research students should speak with their main supervisor. if you don’t know who your personal academic tutor is please check banner self-service.
  2. apply in writing to your faculty office or equivalent.
  3. follow any procedures required by your faculty.

changing your mind after signing an accommodation contract with us

as of 1 september 2020, unfortunately we can no longer offer refunds for accommodation.

field trips and travel

Our primary aim is to keep staff & students safe. We will endeavour to run international and UK field trips where government guidance allows and it is practical and safe to do so. Each trip will be considered on a case by case basis.

we won’t ask you to travel abroad anywhere the government advises against.


researchers, including postgraduates and supervisors, can find relevant information here:

can i defer my scholarship award to 2021 if i defer my offer?

please contact the admissions office (

can i request a refund for the deposit i paid for my masters’ degree, because of covid-19?

you can defer your place to 2021, and your deposit will be offset against the tuition fees due in that year. unfortunately we cannot offer a refund other than for the reasons set out in our deposit terms and conditions. please contact your student office.

privacy settings